Friday, April 8, 2011

Spotlight: Source Code (Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga)



Hello everyone, this is my second movie review in which I will be letting you know my opinion on the movie Source Code. This is a good movie but some plots areas in the movie could have been explained more, but I will get to that in a second. Let’s start off with an introduction for the movie so you know more about it, if you have not seen it already.


This movie is a science fiction thriller and was directed by Duncan Jones and distributed by Summit Entertainment. Duncan Jones seems to be a new director and I state this because his only other big directed film is Moon. The cast starred Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga, and Jeffrey Write. I may like this movie more than others because Jake Gyllenhaal is one of my favourite actors and he plays his roles well. I will not, however, watch him in Brokeback Mountain. Not because it is a film of a gay-couple, but because it is two of my favourite actors and I just don’t want to see it to begin with.

Now for the plot, which I will try not to spoil but it is kind of hard to not spoil some of it in order to explain what it is about. Jake Gyllenhaal (Colter Stevens) plays a captain in the army who is used to go back in time to find out who bombed this train. Another captain, played by Vera Farmiga, is shown on the screen from where Colter is supposedly being held. When he is on the train, he has eight minutes to find out who the bomber is and to defuse the bomb on the train. Although while on the train, Colter also ends up gaining a love interest in Christina Warren, played by Michelle Monaghan, who is in the seat opposite of him during the train rides. So during many of his eight minute investigation sessions, Colter spends most of his time flirting with Christina but at the same time trying to figure out whom the bomber is. Now, I don’t want to go too much more into the detail, below is my thoughts.


This movie is a decent thriller, but my issue is that they did not explain a lot of what could have been a good plot line. They did explain what the Source Code is and how it is being used, but they could have also added in some more about why the bomber was, well, bombing. This movie is good and also has some funny parts as Russell Peters character, who is a comedian, was on the train as well. If you want an easy to follow thriller then this is for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment