Monday, February 14, 2011

Achievements Let Players Get More Out Of Games, Nintendo Doesn't Like Achievements, Americans And Valentines Day, Talk Nerdy To Me By The Game Station: Emoticon Love

Hello everyone, lazy blog. Hope you had a fun corporate holiday, Valentine's Day, and I hope you bought your significant other lots of chocolate. It helps give companies more money. Valentine's Day should not be the one day you love your partner. You should love them always. Anyways, not much news so I tried to post one article I had an opinion on. Also, check out this interview with Killitorous from Ottawa, Ontario!

Achievements Let Players Get More Out Of Games, Nintendo Doesn't Like Achievements
http://www.gamefront.com/achievements-let-players-get-more-out-of-games/

A few weeks ago Kotaku had a lengthy discussion with Bill Trinen from Nintendo about Achievements and explains why the company doesn't want them in their games. Nintendo has left achievements off most of their games other than Wii Sport Resort in 2008 which had something like that system. While Bill Trinen said that the company is not opposed to the system he did say it could work. Sure Nintendo doesn't want to use the achievement system but it seems like they are the only ones who don't. Microsoft has achievement points, Sony has trophies, even computer games and smart phone games have some type of achievement system! This is what Trinen said on behalf of Nintendo: "When they create their games, [Nintendo's designers] don’t tell you how to play their game in order to achieve some kind of mythical reward. Basically, the way the games are designed is they’re designed for you to explore the game yourself and have this sense of discovery. To that end, I think that when you look specifically at games from EAD [the group long led by Mario and Donkey Kong creator Shigeru Miyamoto] and a lot of other games that Nintendo has developed a well, there are things you can do in the game that will result in some sort of reward or unexpected surprise. In my mind, that really encourages the sense of exploration rather than the sense of 'If I do that, I’m going to get some sort of artificial point or score that’s going to make me feel better that I got this.' And that, to me, is I think more compelling." I think Trinen is wrong when he says that Achievements give a restriction on players and limit their exploration of the games area. When I see exploration Achievements, I go around discovering new areas out of curiosity of what is there. Achievements are there to get you into a competitive spirit. I try to get as many as I can, but my problem is that I buy more games than I play. I mean, sure the achievements may be tasking and very tiring and not fun after a point but it makes the difficult hard of fully completing that games list. Collectibles and difficulty settings can make a game that much more enjoyable by testing your gaming skills. Many games have easy achievements but these may be the games that were released earlier in the 360 days.


That's the single article for today. Here is an info graph about Valentine's Day and Americans and a video from The Game Station of Emoticon Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment